If you’re an iPhone, iPad, or Droid junky and you’ll be traveling to Hawaii soon, you’ll probably want to find some of the best apps available for your particular device. Since you won’t want to stay put, and most of us here at Aloha Update have iPhones, we’re going to give you our top apps for the iPhone.
Below we’ve compiled a list of our 5 Best Free iPhone Apps that you’ll want to download before you come to Hawaii. (Don’t worry, we’ve reviewed some top paid for Hawaii apps too) Some of them are specifically Hawaii, some of them are geared more towards the casual traveler. But no matter what, you’ll want to get them before you go.
1. Hawaii News Now – This a FREE app is a local news app that will keep you up to date with whats going on in the news, your source for local weather, find movie times, flight times, and places to visit. Great App. Of course, like most news outlets, it’s gonna tell you the nitty gritty of Hawaii, along with some fun sections, find out about sports, and keep up on the local contests going on like surf contests. You can download the app here and see a screenshot here.
2. Surf Report – Although not strictly a Hawaii app, it is a FREE app powered by Surfline, presented by Oakley, this surf report app is a must if you’re going to surf or not. The reason we say “not” is because even if you’re not going to surf in Hawaii, knowing where the surf is can lead you to some of the best sports spectator spots on the planet, like the Banzai Pipeline on Oahu’s North Shore. Just navigate to Hawaii on the find surf spots and get to your island and location. You can download this app here and see a screenshot here.
3. Reef Fish Hawaii – For this app there is a FREE version and one that costs $4.99. If you’re an app junky, go for the paid version. It will surely replace any reef fish book you were gonna buy. However, they make water proof reef fish books that might come in handy under the water (although we haven’t ever seen that pan out). A fun free version to keep you busy. Plus if you get one of the olympus waterproof cameras you can compare the pics and learn afterwards. Download free version here and the paid for version here and see a screenshot here.
4. Hawaii – What Chefs Eat – This FREE app is an interesting one and lands high on our list because what else do you do on vacation besides eat? And what better way to find out where the best food places are in Hawaii than to have an iphone app full of the best Hawaii chefs telling you where to go. Tells opinions from top chefs like Alan Wong of Alan Wong’s, Roy Yamaguchi of Roy’s Restaurant, and D.K. Kodama of d.k Steakhouse and Sansei. You can get the app here and see a screenshot here.
5. HI Landmarks – OK, with google maps app already on all iPhones, you probably could use your Hawaii guidebooks to find these locations, but, this is an interesting free app and worth the pricetag, FREE. Warning though, as of the writing of this review this app only has landmarks on Oahu. It uses the GPS on the iPhone to show you where you are in relation to some of the more popular landmarks in Hawaii. Of course it doesn’t have all of them but it does have a far number. You can download it here and see a screenshot here.