I’ve reviewed the GoPro Hero HD and talked about how much I dig the camera. It’s a great camera, and can withstand a lot of grueling conditions. However, I also talked about in a follow-on review how the GoPro Surf Hero mounts have a tendency to break under some not so large surf.
But, as I confessed in that review, I incorrectly attached the leash to the GoPro® HD Cameras (<– affiliate link) and consequently lost the camera to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. But that wasn’t the end of the GoPro. Due to the great customer service of GoPro, I got a new camera, and also learned how to correctly attach the leash.
So I thought I would spell it out for you below. It’s not the easiest thing to attach, but the key it, attach it to the hinge (shown below)! Also, the leash should come tied at one end so it is looped. Make sure it is tied tight!
1. First thing you’ll want to do is get a kitchen fork. It’s easiest to push the looped end from the side of the hinge that doesn’t have a the mounting point. See below.
2. Next, slide the fork between the mounting point on the case and pull on the loop so you can grasp the leash and pull it through. See below.
3. Next, pull the leash so you can loop the other end, the tied end, back through the loop.
4. Now, pull the tied end through the looped end. See below.
5. Pull the leash tight against the hinge. See below.
That’s it! Now you can easily loop the camera, the same way you looped the around the hinge. Although I haven’t had a mount break while I’ve had the leash connected properly, I do see how this is the correct way to connect.