Headhunter has been around since 1989 making custom sunscreens or “surfscreens” as they like to call them. Over the years I have tried a couple of their lotions and facesticks and thought they provided good sun protection when worn in the water. I do prefer a couple other lotions and facesticks like Vertra, but think the Headhunter is a great affordable alternative to some of the expensive competitors.
I recently bought a Headhunter Tinted Light Brown Facestick as a back up to my Vertra and found that it gave great coverage in the water, but application was cumbersome and the white face I was left with was less than attractive.
- SPF 45
- UVA and UVB
- Non migrating (will stay where you put it)
- Non greasy
- Engineered for water repellency and ‘waveproofing’ and won’t come off when you duck dive in the surf
- Hypoallergenic , fragrance-free, and PABA-free
- Around $12-$14, which is more affordable than competitors
- Available at almost every surf shop
- Hard to apply, tough to roll on my soft skin
- “Tinted Light Brown” color is not brown, but came out a more of a white zinc look
- Not good for everyday wear or just hanging at the beach because it’s very noticeable due to the “white” color
Overall, my Headhunter tinted facestick is a good facestick for water sports, but probably more for the hardcore surfer who doesn’t mind that their face looks fierce with white coloring. The white color is a good indicator that their face is fully protected from the sun, but as a female surfer I would like to remain a bit more under the radar.
Headhunter does have a ”clear” facestick, but I wonder if you can see the application of it on your face? Also, there is a “dark brown” color that I haven’t tried, so maybe that color is more on the brown side? For now, I’ll stick to my smooth applying Vertra facestick and save the Headhunter for my back up or for the needy fellow surfer who wants to borrow some sunscreen.